A New Way of Seeing Jazz

Aesthetic Realism and The Siegel Theory of Opposites offer a new way of understanding the beauty of jazz and all music.

Name:

I grew up outside of Philadelphia and have lived in New York for over 20 years. I'm a jazz pianist, singer, arranger, choral conductor and music teacher. I've been teaching full-time for about 18 years. Currently I teach on the junior and senior high school levels, though I've taught from elementary school through college. I also teach privately. Since 1985 I've been studying Aesthetic Realism, first in consultations and now in professional classes taught by Ellen Reiss.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Duke Ellington's "Happy Go Lucky Local"

A paper I wrote, "Wildness and Order in Duke Ellington's Happy Go Lucky Local" is now up on my website. One of Ellington's wonderful "train" pieces, I was thrilled to study it--it really is wild! Yet it has an almost classical structure, and is very carefully put together. Click on the link and enjoy!